Thursday 30 May 2013

Effortless Perfection

We are supposed to be fit, pretty, intelligent, creative, have chef worthy skills, and a clean house.  Not only are these unrealistic expectations but we are supposed to be able to achieve all of these things while all the while making it appear as though little to no effort was put into it.  I would like to say that if this is truly the standard then I am an EPIC Failure.

My house has dust bunnies that hardly fit under the furniture and could possibly attack at any moment.  I work really hard at most things I do with mediocre results on many occasions.  And as hard as I do try to look "put together" I can't count the number of times I have gone to work to find Rice Krispies cemented to my back side or that my underpants are on backwards.  This notion of Effortless Perfection is making many a mom feel inadequate


Last week in my house was disastrous.  We all had THE SICK.  Not one of those 24 hour bugs where it was totally worth it because you lost 3 pounds; but an everyone pukes for 6 days consecutively sick.  I can say I have never experienced anything like it.  While trying to wipe the puked up Cheerios out of my hair with a baby wipe and decide if my fourth shirt warranted be changed by having enough puke on it yet- It hit me.  This is not what I had pictured in my head before my first child was born. 

I always say that I was a way better parent before I had kids.  I knew everything then.  I had visions in my head of being showered and dressing in cute casual clothes, hair done, makeup on with perhaps my children either matching or at least coordinating with me.  I can say honestly that not once since becoming a mom has this EVER happened. 

I was led to believe that I should be able to keep everything together, with everyone happy and clean including myself.  This is just simply untrue and not possible.  I know now that people are dishonest and don't want to share what really happens for fear of judgement and feeling inadequate in comparisons to other perceived super moms.

For these reasons and also to add a little more creativity to my life is why I am going to blog.  I want to share with all the other questionable parents like me what life with little ones is really like. 

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your blog! I look forward to reading more:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the nudge and for inspiring me with
      http://kylielozon.blogspot.ca/

      Delete
  2. Love this idea. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it and there will be more to come!

      Delete
  3. Great job...although we may feel exactly like this blog...I definitely don't have the creative mind to write about it!!! Congrats :) keep blogging ~ its your thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and your kind words!

      Delete